NSS Labs 2017 BDS Group Test
NSS’ 2017 Breach Detection Systems (BDS) Group Test evaluated seven market-leading BDS products on security, security effectiveness, performance, and total cost of ownership (TCO). Four products achieved a Recommended rating; one product received a Neutral rating; one product received a Security Recommended rating; and one product received a Caution rating.
Key findings include:
- Five out of the seven products tested missed evasions.
- Overall Security Effectiveness ranged between 80.2% and 100.0%.
- The average Security Effectiveness rating was 93.2%; five products received a Security Effectiveness rating above the average, and two received a Security Effectiveness rating below the average.
- False positive rates ranged from 0% to 0.36%.
- TCO per Protected Mbps ranged between US$16 and US$128, with most tested products costing less than US$44 per protected Mbps.
- The average TCO per Protected Mbps (Value) was US$48.82; five products demonstrated value above the average, and two demonstrated value below the average.
The following products were evaluated:
- Check Point Software Technologies 15600 Next Generation Threat Prevention & SandBlastTM (NGTX) Appliance R77.30
- Cisco FirePower 8120 v.6 & Cisco AMP v.22.214.171.12430
- FireEye Network Security NX 10450 v7.9.2 & EX 8400 v7.9.0
- FireEye Network Security 6500NXES-VA v7.9.2
- Fortinet FortiSandbox-2000E v.FSA 2.4.1 & FortiClient (APT Agent) v.126.96.36.1995
- Lastline Enterprise v7.25
- Trend Micro Deep Discovery Inspector Model 4000 v3.8 SP5 & OfficeScan (OSCE) v.12.0.1807
To see how vendors performed on Security Effectiveness and TCO per Protected Mbps, download a free copy of the BDS SVM graphic using the form to the right. NSS clients can also download the BDS Comparative Reports on Performance, Security, Security Value Map, and TCO here.
As with all NSS Labs group tests, there was no fee for participation. In addition, the test methodology applied is in the public domain to provide transparency and to help enterprises understand the results.
|2017 Breach Detection Systems (BDS)
Security Value MapTM
|Get Your Free Copy Now|