Company Invites Industry Engagement to Help Evolve Forthcoming SD-WAN Test and Methodology
AUSTIN, Texas – October 16, 2018 – NSS Labs, Inc., a global leader and trusted source for independent, fact-based cybersecurity guidance, today announced that it is developing the next iteration of its Software-Defined Wide Area Network (SD-WAN) Group Test. As part of today’s announcement, NSS Labs is also issuing a call for industry engagement from both enterprises and SD-WAN vendors to help shape and evolve its upcoming test and methodology.
Adoption of SD-WAN has reached an inflection point and nearly every distributed business is deploying, evaluating, or planning to implement an SD-WAN product as part of its IT vision. The global market intelligence firm IDC estimates that the SD-WAN market will grow at a compound annual growth rate of 69%, reaching $8 billion by 2021. According to an NSS Labs research survey, 87.8% of US enterprises surveyed indicate that their organizations have adopted or will adopt SD-WAN technology in the next 12 months. Of the enterprises currently deploying SD-WAN products, 52.9% plan on expanding their use of the technology.
Earlier this year NSS Labs performed the industry’s first group test of SD-WAN products and produced the most comprehensive technical research available on the market today. In this groundbreaking test, nine SD-WAN products were examined through hundreds of hours of rigorous testing. The 2018 SD-WAN Group Test includes detailed individual Test Reports for nine products, plus three Comparative Reports: the TCO Comparative Report, Performance Comparative Report, and Value Matrix Comparative Report.
NSS Labs research indicates that the SD-WAN market will continue to evolve, and both SD-WAN and security will become integral components of the modern WAN Edge architecture. As part of the 2018 SD-WAN Group Test, some of the key capabilities that were assessed by NSS Labs included:
- Remote Initial Configuration
- WAN Impairment and Link Failover
- Dynamic Path Selection with SLA Measurements
- Path Conditioning and Application-Aware Steering
- Link Saturation and Congestion
- Application-Aware Traffic Steering
- Performance by Application Flows
- Raw Packet Processing Performance – UDP Throughput and UDP Latency
- Maximum Capacity
- HTTP Capacity and limits
- Application-Aware Response Time
- Security Effectiveness
“SD-WAN is becoming increasingly mainstream and the products tested in the 2018 NSS Labs SD-WAN Group Test offer some impressive capabilities for enterprises and service providers,” said Jason Brvenik, Chief Technology Officer at NSS Labs. “We encourage enterprises and vendors to collaborate with us as we continue to examine leading SD-WAN products in the market.”
1IDC Forecasts SD-WAN Market to Reach $8 Billion in 2021, July 2017
2NSS Labs “Security Controls in the US Enterprise: Network Security Software-Defined Wide Area Network” January 2018
As with all NSS Labs group tests, there is no fee for participation, and the test methodology is available in the public domain to provide transparency and to help enterprises understand the factors behind test results. Click here for more information about our group test policies.
Enterprises that wish to provide feedback regarding NSS Labs’ upcoming SD-WAN group test and its associated test methodology can send feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org. Vendors can send feedback to email@example.com.
- Purchase the NSS Labs 2018 SD-WAN Group Test Reports
- View the 2018 SD-WAN Group Test Methodology
- Download our infographic titled SD-WAN in the Enterprise
- Read our blog titled “All US Enterprises are in on SD-WAN”
- Read our intelligence brief titled “Security Controls in the US Enterprise: Network Security
Software-Defined Wide Area Network”
- Learn more about NSS Labs’ Security Product Testing
- Learn more about NSS Labs’ Test Policies
- Learn more about NSS Labs’ Cloud Platform for Continuous Security Validation
- Follow NSS Labs on Twitter
- Follow NSS Labs on LinkedIn